Friday, December 3, 2010

Craft Time with a Toddler~Success!!


Today I finally had some success with doing some crafts with David. We did it without him eating it or becoming instantly bored.
I will say it wasn't without some whining when I put the apron on him.

I got that sudden crafty itch today and decided, on a whim, to make my very own finger paints. It wasn't hard at all really. I'll include the recipe at the bottom for my fellow crafty parents.

Like I said before, he whined a little when I put the apron on and then presented him with the paints. But then I showed him how to scoop up some with his finger and swirl it on the paper. It was an instant hit!

The only thing I've noticed so far is that he doesn't fully commit and get his whole hand dirty. It's only the pointer finger and then he complains until I clean it off. I suppose so that he can get another color.



But he had a lot of fun so I deem this crafting activity a SUCCESS!!

Cornstarch Finger Paint Recipe:
3 cups water
1 cup cornstarch
food coloring

bring to a boil, 2 cups of water. In separate bowl mix 1 cup cornstarch and 1 cup water until combined. When water comes to a boil, remove from heat. Add the cornstarch mixture until combined. Return to heat and let boil for about 1 minute or until thick. Remove from heat and separate into individual bowls. Add food coloring and let cool. Get messy!!

1 comment:

  1. ...yes, and I notice that the ENTIRE surface is covered in paper. tell me, does the food coloring wash off the fingers completely? I always wory about using food coloring, because it's so...indelible! you are braver than I am, I haven't let my kids do anything like that for about three years, last time was SUCH a miserable cleanup!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! They keep me inspired and usually put a big grin on my face. :)